Use KissMetrics to start tracking users and conversions!
This tutorial will help you add KissMetrics to your KickoffLabs landing page so you can track your conversion rate.
What does this mean?
You’ll be able to tell how many people sign up to your pre-launch list versus how many people view your page. For example, if 2053 people visit your landing page and 822 sign up, what’s your conversion rate? 822 / 2053 = 40%!
Why is this useful?
You’ll know pretty quickly if your landing page is doing a good job or not. If your conversion rate is low, perhaps something’s not clear or your offer doesn’t have enough sizzle. Uncover any problems early and fix them to better appeal to your target audience… and get more people on your pre-launch list!
Here’s how you do it…
- Visit Kiss Metrics and select a plan that’s right for you. Don’t worry, you can try any plan free for 30 days and you don’t need a credit card to get started.
- Create your account:
- Next, you’ll be prompted through a series of questions beginning with the name of your landing page:
The answers to these questions will obviously be unique to your business as a whole so select the answers that are most appropriate for you. You can always edit later.
- At the end you will be presented with a list of suggestions based on your answers. You can edit or modify anything here. If you’re not sure, just leave the defaults for now.
- Next, you’ll be given two choices for adding the KissMetrics code to your landing page:
You can always send the details to your web developer, but let’s select the D-I-Y option:
- Copy the KissMetrics API code.
Next, you’re going to go back to your KickoffLabs account, but don’t log out of KissMetrics yet because you need to come back.
- Log into your KickoffLabs account, select your campaign from the campaign list, then find your signup page (KissMetrics tracks the form submission, so you’ll want to place your tracking on the page with the form). Click the Settings cog to the far right of the signup page, then click “Tracking Codes” from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll all the way down and click in the field that says “Custom Conversion Tracking”. Paste in the KissMetrics API into the box. Don’t forget to save!
- Go back to KissMetrics and select the Configuration tab from your Dashboard there:
- Now you need to set up a new “Event” to track. This is when people fill out your sign-up form.
Create new event:
- The following box will appear. Select “Submits the form” from the drop-down menu.
- Paste the following value into the next field
- Finally, name your Event “Pre-Registration” and then click “Create”.
Congratulations! You’re now ready to create a KissMetrics funnel for your Pre-Registration Event to know exactly how your landing page is performing.