This article will show you how to add or change CNAMEs for your KickoffLabs landing pages when using 1&1 as your domain host.
Adding a subdomain
To add your custom domain to KickoffLabs, you first need to create a subdomain:
1. Log into your 1&1 account. You will be taken straight to the Administration page if you only have one package. If you have multiple packages, select the package you want to edit to reach its Administration page.
4. Enter the name of the subdomain you’d like to create and then click “Create Subdomain”. If you have an existing website on the ‘www’ domain you will need to use a different subdomain (launch.mywebsite.com or signup.mywebsite.com or any other non-www subdomain)
Setting Up a CNAME
Once you’ve gotten your subdomain setup, it’s time to make the following changes to the DNS settings:
1. Follow steps 1 & 2 above if you haven’t already navigated to your Domain Panel
2. Click “Manage Subdomains” next to the domain you want to modify.
3. Check the box next to the subdomain to select it and choose “Edit DNS Settings” from the drop down list
5. Select ‘CNAME’ under ‘Advanced DNS Settings’ (A)
6. Enter your custom CNAME for the Alias (B) **Find your custom CNAME in your KickoffLabs account by clicking on the “Accounts” tab and selecting “Custom Domains” from the drop-0down menu. Your CNAME will be listed under the “Points To” column.
7. Click the checkbox that you are aware of and accept the changes (C)
8. Click ‘Yes’ when asked if you’re sure you want to modify the DNS settings
Things to note: CNAME changes can take up to 48 hours to fully propagate across the entire web. Once it’s ready, you can ensure your pages are published where you want by making sure your domain is added to KickoffLabs and your landing pages are using your custom domain.
Now you can publish a landing page to your newly added Custom Domain.
- Back in your KickoffLabs Dashboard, choose the campaign and locate the landing page you want to publish. Click the arrow cog on the far right side of the page name and select “Page Settings” from the dropdown. scroll to publishing and select “Change URL.”
- Select your custom domain from the 2nd dropdown menu. You can also add a path to the page in the 3rd field (like /thanks or /thank-you for the thank you page). This is optional, but allows you to publish multiple pages to the same subdomain.
- Then click ‘Publish Landing Page’.
Important Note for Customers with Existing Domains:
If you already have your page running on the proxy.kickofflabs.com CNAME it may take a little while for the DNS changes to fully propagate. How long depends on your the TTL of your DNS provider. A safe estimate is usually double what time it says. During this time anything you have published to this domain will still be available.
For existing domains, do NOT change your DNS without first having your domain migrated in the dashboard. Failure to do this may cause your page to be unavailable. Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to migrate your existing domain for SSL support.
If you have trouble setting up your domain, or have any questions in general send an email to email@example.com
*Image credit to 1and1