By default, your published landing pages are hosted on the KickoffLabs domain, however you may want to publish to your own domain to give customers a sense of security, since they trust your brand.
Let’s take a GoDaddy account and go over the steps necessary to publish your landing pages there.
First you need to add your custom domain name to your KickoffLabs Custom Domains.
1. In your KickoffLabs Dashboard, click on the ‘Custom Domains’ Tab.
This example shows how to setup the “www” version of your site with KickoffLabs. This is usually the case when you want to use a KickoffLabs landing page as your primary website.
If you’d rather setup a subdomain for your landing pages, such as contests.yourdomain.com or signup.yourdomain.com click here to visit the article on how to set this up.
2. We’ll be adding a custom domain name for the first time, so let’s type our domain address into the text field and then click ‘Add New Domain Name’.
At this point we get instructions for what we need to do to make sure the setup works correctly. This requires adding a CNAME record to your domain registrar.
Let’s jump over to GoDaddy to make those changes.
3. Once you’ve logged into your GoDaddy account, click on ‘Domains’, then click ‘Launch’ for the domain that you’d like to set up.
4. Click on the ‘DNS Zone File’ tab and scroll down to where you see ‘CNAME (Alias)’.
5. For the ‘www’ host, click on ‘Edit Record’.
6. In the ‘Points to’ field you’re going to add the new KickoffLabs address, which is ‘cname.kolssl.com’.
7. Once that’s done, click on ‘Finish’.
One last step is to verify there is no second CNAME record and no A-record for the subdomain that you’re setting up with KickoffLabs.
8. All set, click on the red ‘Save Changes’ alert box.
GoDaddy notifies that changes may not take effect for some time, but this usually happens right away.
GoDaddy Redirect a Primary Domain to a Subdomain
Before leaving GoDaddy, you may want to set up a basic redirect so that people visiting the primary domain (the non “www” version of your site) will be redirected to the subdomain.
1. In the GoDaddy ‘Domain Settings’ tab, look for ‘Forwarding’ > ‘Domain’ and click on ‘Manage’.
2. From the popup window select ‘Add Forwarding’.
3. Leave the ‘Forward to’ field as ‘https://’ and type in the subdomain (www.yourdomain.com). Leave the other settings as they are. Click ‘Add’, then click ‘Save’.
In just a few moments your primary domain should be redirecting to your subdomain.
Now you can publish a landing page to your newly added GoDaddy Custom Domain.
- Back in your KickoffLabs Dashboard, choose the campaign and locate the landing page you want to publish. Click the Settings cog on the far right side of the page name and select “Page Settings” from the dropdown. Then click on ‘See Publishing Options’ in the top left box.
- Select your custom domain from the 2nd dropdown menu. You can also add a path to the page in the 3rd field (like /thanks or /thank-you for the thank you page). This is optional, but allows you to publish multiple pages to the same subdomain.
- Then click ‘Publish Landing Page’.
Important Note for Customers with Existing Domains:
If you already have your page running on the proxy.kickofflabs.com CNAME it may take a little while for the DNS changes to fully propagate. How long depends on your the TTL of your DNS provider. A safe estimate is usually double what time it says. During this time anything you have published to this domain will still be available.
For existing domains, do NOT change your DNS without first having your domain migrated in the dashboard. Failure to do this may cause your page to be unavailable. Reach out to us at email@example.com to migrate your existing domain for SSL support.
If you have trouble setting up your domain, or have any questions in general send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org